Last week I decided we didn't really need groceries and that the handy little feature my car insurance offers for deferring payment a few days would come in handy. In lieu of these items, I got a treadmill. (On a side note, I really need to cancel my gym membership. I haven't been there in a full year, I'm not quite sure how long of a contract I signed ... ) Ostensibly, the dogs would also benefit from this purchase.
Since accidentally owning a dingo, we have been trying to train her to properly use a leash, to no avail. She's just too damn fast (up to 30mph) and our pedestrian speeds simply annoy her. Despite possessing webbed feet, she is afraid of water, so swimming to get some energy out never worked either. Her natural state of affairs is ramped up and nervous. After watching a few too many episodes of The Dog Whisperer, a lightbulb lit. Oooh, the dingo could use a treadmill. Right.
So far, this idea has failed miserably. Just like with the swimming idea, our yappy ball of fur who could care less about expending energy on anything useful is much more interested. The dingo cowers, the yappy dog yaps and bats at the treadmill. Fun stuff. I doubt Cesar's crew would fit in my garage, otherwise, I might try to get him to teach the wacko. Maybe one of these days? Yeah, I know. I doubt it too.
I have used the grocery replacement regularly though. After convincing my son that screaming, "Run Fat Ass, Run!!!" while watching me was not good for his health, it has been much more pleasant for me. In fact, I have shaved nearly four minutes off my mile time this week. The bad news is that I'd have to shave another ten or so to make it an even slightly respectable time. :) Considering I have never run on a treadmill before, I'm OK with that. I've walked on them often. Forty plus minutes four days a week with my own personal trainer the summer- winter a year ago. I just refused to actually let go of the machine, so it never counted as running. Walking at 7mph caused me great pain, and is probably how I injured my knee, ending my training. *shrugs*
At first I listened to Alice in Chains, which was a Bad Idea. Nothing like suicidal thoughts and drug lust to get you motivated to move. :S The next day I switched to Rage Against the Machine. That was better. Rage gets me moving, always. (They also take the blame for my multiple speeding tickets one year when I played nothing but "Evil Empire" in my car.) After a few days, I started to think too much. I was pushing myself to run another 15 seconds while being motivated by political wrongdoings and General world evil? Could I really use oppression as a reason to make my ass stop jiggling? It just seemed kind of wrong.
Then I switched to 50 Cent. Now, I can imagine myself as a chunked up Fiddy trying to outrun the guys in his neighborhood who want to kick his ass for being such a cocky twat. This seems to work well for me. I mean, who can't picture a little extra jiggle in 50's ass? I suspect next I will have to become DMX, cracked out and running from the cops. There's nowhere to go but up from there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

If you start listening to Snoop, Dre or other miscellaneous old school, then we may have a problem. How long did it take to convince Allergy Boy not to scream Run Fat Ass Run!! at you?
ReplyDeleteHmmm, those are good choices. I nixed the Beastie Boys because I had some newer stuff on the playlist, but I don't have Snoop or Dre. I have Public Enemy, NWA, Eazy E and Ices T & Cubr though ...
DeleteOh yeah. About five minutes.
DeleteI can't stand Beastie Boys. I never liked their stuff. I have some 90s alternative and other various old school on my ipod; I need to switch things up some again when I get my laptop back.
ReplyDeleteI love their first CD, and there's a tolerable one there somewhere in the middle. I have a ton of crap from Jade on mine. I need to get some more stuff though, the stuff I like is outnumbered.
DeleteIf we were closer, I'd compare notes on music styles and let you look through my collection to see if you wanted anything. I have a habit of illegally obtaining music I hear on the radio or from friends that I don't already have. I think the last stuff I got was The Cure, but I listen to it all from Willie Nelson to Metallica and beyond. No metal and Eminem and Nelly's the furthest into rap I ever got aside from the old school hits.
ReplyDeleteEwww, Nelly. Christ. Even autocorrect keeps trying to forget him. ;). Jade got most of her shit illegally too. I am in patches all over the board. *shrugs*
DeleteI listen to system of a down or rob zombie while doing the pre programmed thing and black eyed peas on repeat while doing the actual running.
ReplyDeleteI think it's awesome you're doing this. It's honestly been saving me lately. And now I'm RUNNING over a mile?! Shiiit, I'm all proud and junk.
I think you're supposed to tie the dog to the treadmill and start it off slow and ignore his freaking out. At least from what I remember from when I had cable. I totally watched the dog whisperer. Which is weird cuz I don't even like dogs.
I don't have any of those. I'm not even sure I've ever heard a Black Eyed Peas song, actually.
DeleteI'd be proud of running a mile too! Shit, I was proud when I jogged a whole minute straight. I do actually have exercise induced asthma, but still ... I'm going for the Couch to 2K plan and seeing how it goes.
We were trying to be nice and enticing her to get on by herself. Strapping her on there and turning it on sounds like a plan. She needs it! She probably needs a 20lb. backpack and an hour of running on 10.
There is only one Black Eyed Peas song I like, but music is a necessity when working out. I run a few miles a day and the music keeps me going. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI've heard so many people say running and exercise keeps them going and gives them energy, and all I've ever gotten is tired and sweaty. I hope it changes soon! :). Thanks!
DeleteHahaha!! Tired and sweaty sounds about right. I look at it this way, I may spend the entire time bitching in my head, but I've never regreted doing it. :)
ReplyDeleteNot even the next day when you can't walk? Do you remember when my trainer kicked my ass so hard, I fell when I was trying to squat over a filthy public toilet the next day? Total regret for working out.
Delete