Wednesday, February 08, 2012

jack handey

He used to quote "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey" on a regular basis, each time trying to improve upon his deadpan. (“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ) His eyes always betrayed his amusement, his theatrical gestures hinted at practice alone, in front of a mirror. Sometimes he couldn't make it all the way through a quote without grinning wildly, eyebrow raising slightly, watching for my reaction. More often than not, I'd furrow my drunken brow in confusion. He'd start to explain, only to be interrupted. "I get it. I just don't get why you think it's so damn amusing."

12 comments:

  1. Haha, nice one! I love this because I can totally see myself in this character. Yep, that would be me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)) Heh. This character's friends love him anyway, bet yours do too.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Quoting mock sincerety to create sincere amusement and falling on deaf ears. I love it that the presenter can't get to the punchline without giving himself away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he couldn't fool a drunk, his performance needed some work. ;)

      Delete
  3. Love this! Love Deep Thoughs by Jack Handey - Love this interplay. :)

    Never try to reason with a drunk (or make them laugh or . . . or . . . or)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are just gluttons for punishment. ;)

      Delete
  4. THOUGHTS!!! good gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha!!! You did it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. His wife posted some pics of him in his stuffed animal pants last night, and then a few hours later, this hit me. :))

      Delete
  6. This is really great. I love the Jack Handey reference. You've given us a very believable character. I think we've all been on one side or the other of that equation. Thanks for joining up. Hope to see you back on Friday for the weekend challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was blocked on the word until I remembered dear Mr. Handey. :)

      Delete
  7. Bahahaha!!! Stuffed animal pants?!!

    ReplyDelete