Yeah, so apparently when you decide to go vegan it helps to have a plan. The only plan I had was that I am allowed to cheat on Friday night for awhile and have a slice of pizza. I found that eating little more than candy and pretzels makes you gain weight and feel like shit. I think I probably knew that already.
I tried two recipes from Veganomicon, Fresh Rosemary Focaccia and Coconut Lemon Bundt cake. The Rosemary Focaccia was excellent. Yummy. The Coconut Cake was OK. It took a lot longer than the recipe said and when I took it out of the oven the first time, it collapsed. So I smushed it back in the pan and recooked. It looked like hell, but it tasted good. A little heavy, but maybe that was because I had to use a Magic Bullet (no, not the good kind) to make my huge coconut flakes smaller, and they became almost flour like.
I tried hummus for the first time. I found a can of garlic free stuff, and I'm glad I didn't expend the effort looking for blender pieces to make the stuff. It's OK on pita chips, but not great. I"ve never been a big dip fan anyway though.
I thought it tasted like sour cream so I decided to play around with it and make twice baked potatoes. I added hummus, onion powder, broccoli and nutritional yeast in varying combinations to the potatoes and reheated it. The edition involving all ingredients was my favorite. It tasted cheesy, but not heavy or greasy, which is a welcome change from my usual twice baked potatoes.
I think maybe I'm getting the hang of this vegan thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

If you have a Trader Joe's close by, try the spicy hummus. My pseudo-vegetarian wife swears by it (as do I as a carnivore).
ReplyDeleteI wish I had a Trader Joe's close by, I have to drive over an hour to get to one. I am a weirdo and was actually glad to find plain, flavorless hummus. Well, until I tasted it anyway. :) I'm guessing fresh is better than canned in any case.
ReplyDelete