Thursday, February 28, 2008

Dear Gumby

Well, here we are again. It's that horrid day of the year. Every day for the past six years I've been reliving the pain of the first year. I don't go to the bar to visit you anymore though. It's just too much. I think this year marks the year you've been gone longer than I knew you. Heh. I bet 13 years ago you would've LOVED the idea that I would think about you at least once a day from then on. Oh, you would've been such a pain with that thought. I wouldn't have believed you at all either. Funny how shit works out, isn't it?

This year I find myself waiting for a check from the state treasury's bureau of unclaimed property. The state claims I had checks issued to me from a life insurance company about 16 days after you died. I never got (more likely I simply didn't open them), or cashed them, so the amount they were written for is sitting in the treasury department. I will probably never know why exactly they were written. In any case, I'm thanking you. I wish I would have thanked you more often when you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment