Monday, February 25, 2008

Going Vegan

I am planning to cut meat, dairy, and eggs out of my diet. I've been toying with the idea of vegetarianism for years, but always concluded that I don't like enough food other than meat. Now I'm calling "bullshit" on myself. Just because I hate onions, garlic, and peppers doesn't mean I can't eat vegetarian food. I can find recipes. I can create recipes. I have the time to do so. I'm not working. I don't have a car. What better way to spend your day than by doing something for yourself?

I never really considered going all out vegan before. I have cut out dairy to lose weight, but that was pretty much the extent of my feelings on it. Occasionally when I thought about dairy and eggs too much, I made myself queasy. The thoughts were fleeting. Often the thought of meat made me queasy, but I was, frankly, too lazy to do anything about it.

What changed?
I read a book.

No, it wasn't a "propaganda" book. It was a book on food science called On Food and Cooking:The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee. I've enjoyed Cook's Illustrated products for awhile now, and my favorite part has always been the science and methodology behind the recipes. I've been reading a lot lately and the cost was getting ridiculous. (no, the library is not an option) Then I saw the huge volume by McGee. I figured it would take a lot longer to read than the novels I was blowing through in a sitting. I was right.

I've only made it through the first two chapters so far. They cover dairy and eggs. The scientific explanations and reasons for why we use these products grossed me out completely. I thought about these foods in ways that I had only briefly considered. Reading about it confirmed that queasy feeling. Now I know that the reasons I vaguely disliked these products were founded.

The scientific, non-biased approach to the subjects affected me more than any biased reporting ever could have. I knew he wasn't trying to make me come to these conclusions, yet I came to them. That has a huge impact on me. I haven't even gotten to the meat section yet. That's next. I have no doubt that it will make me more than queasy.

I already tried to buy only free range / organic, local if possible, products. I knew about some of the ideals that were being broken in spirit, if not legally, regarding these products. I no longer think that is enough for me.

So I'll keep reading my book, and I'll figure out ways to eat "normal" things that are vegan. I think it will work. If it doesn't, well, at least I will have found some new, healthy foods to add to my diet. That can't be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment