Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Vegan Start(?)

I decided to eat the things I already had in the house that contained dairy and eggs that I really liked (frozen pizza, whole grain blueberry pancakes) yesterday and then go from there. My reasoning was that it would be easier without those things around the house. I decided I'd start my vegan diet today.

I went to the bookstore and looked at some vegan cookbooks. I found several recipes in Veganomicon that I liked, so I just sucked it up and bought it at the bookstore price. I bought some peanuts, which, again, I shouldn't have in the house with my son, but, eh, . . . I settled in to read the book, eating some peanuts. It was then that I remembered that peanuts are not my friend anymore either. My itchy throat reminded me pretty quickly that I was an idiot. Benadryl is wonderful.

I found fewer recipes that I think I will use than I would have liked, but I did find some, so that's good. Apparently I will forever be omitting garlic, onions, and peppers from any recipe I find. I also have to omit nuts, and probably should omit soy. That doesn't leave a whole lot to work with in the book, but, again, a few things that sounded excellent, so I guess it's worth it.

The Benadryl knocked me out before I could go pee, so I woke up at 4AM. Then I remembered that I had also purchased a Cadbury Caramel Egg for a final time. So I decided that it didn't technically count as today until I wanted to get out of bed, and ate it, further solidifying my idiot status. Then I figured since I had that, I may as well have a coconut marshmallow while I was at it.

I've been doing well since re-awaking though-- mostly because I haven't actually eaten anything yet.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 AM

    I will follow you wherever you go.
    This was very interesting. I have been wondering for a long time, is it a natural preference to go Vegan, or something you have to consciously decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it was ever a natural preference, but I would guess that most people have to consciously decide these days. I think it takes really thinking about your food though, so maybe it's a bit of a chicken vs. egg thing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:21 PM

    My dad could use reading your blog and comment. He always chastises me about the way I eat. Unless it's dripping blood, it's not good in his book. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad is the same way-- and I get to cook for him. Blech. I think that for people of a certain age, meat still signifies wealth, and if they can eat it, damn it, they will. If only because their parents couldn't afford to feed it to them daily when they were little. I could get on a soapbox from there, but I will try to stay on the ground.

    ReplyDelete