Monday, January 09, 2012

set adrift

I'm bored, lonely, and suffering from insomnia. This usually leads me to reminisce, and write. I'm tired of remembering when I had a life worth writing about. I want a life worth thinking about and writing about now. I'm just not sure how to accomplish that. Less than a month ago, I thought I would accomplish that. Now I'm stuck on the pause button, yet again.

I mentioned to a friend today that I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it to my Tuesday volunteer duties, which posed a problem mostly because finding a substitute is your own problem and not many of the women there talk to me. He responded that as far as he could tell, women never really talked to me. I've been told this numerous times in numerous ways before. I'm not really sure what the deal is, but it's true.

When I first gained weight after my son was born, I noticed more women spoke to me. I just figured it was because I had a baby, and therefore automatically became approachable, but I wasn't always with him. Then I lost a lot of weight. No one spoke to me then. No, wait, that's not true. Teenagers thought I was their age so they spoke to me, and women above retirement age spoke to me regularly. Then I gained a little bit of weight back, and once again, women spoke to me. I had my ass grabbed by women (bartenders, no less) in bars, I was told I'd be a good reason to try same-sex sex, and just generally approached by women. Then some more weight stuck to my ass. Now very few people speak to me, and no one approaches me. Awesome.

I wonder what the deal is, and whether it says more about me or more about other people. I suspect pleasantly plump is just below a certain acceptable threat level. Too far above that level, no contact. Too far below, why bother? I've pretty much been the same the whole time. *sigh* It seems ridiculous to even think that, because I'm never one to put any effort into my looks, or think that I look good, ever. I'm pretty sure it's not just a figment of my imagination though.

Why is it so hard to make friends after a certain age? I don't want or need drinking buddies anymore, but someone who used to drink and whore it up, and now tries to maintain some sort of "normalcy" while still retaining a personality would be much appreciated. I know people who have never given it up, and I know people who pretend they've never done a damn thing that would be considered "adult fun" in their whole lives. Why is it so hard to let go of part of it, but not all of it? Maybe because if you do it that way, you end up still awake at 5:15AM, writing crap and wondering why life has to be so difficult.

6 comments:

  1. Me! Me! Me! I totally fit that bill!! I was a great big drunk stoner whore and now I'm a crocheting STAY AT HOME MOM!!! Woot woot! *ass wiggle dance* Um, yeah, I get where you're coming from and last year I thought I was going to die of lonliness. I've found a couple mom's with kids G's age that are 'like me' and a couple that are just accepting of me, but don't really have the same experinces. You should move out here. We could be BFF's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know YOU fit the bill, silly!

    If I start walking now, it should only take a year or so to get there. Plus, I'd be skinny as hell and ultra fit when I did. Buns o'steel from crossing all those mountain ranges. If I showed up with the ability to bounce quarters off my ass, do you think they'd let me stay? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start hoarding money and move west. Join Amelia's compound or find a home in Portland. There's plenty of dreads and tats to look at, people to play with. It's a good place. If you can handle all the rain. ;) But I know what you mean - I'm amazed when I'm with thinner friends and guys come out of the woodwork to hit on them. We had one follow us out of the bar and halfway up the block to ask my (stripper) girlfriend not to leave. Sometimes I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to move, but I don't like the idea of all Ian, all the time. Not that anyone ever watches him for me anyway.

    See, stuff like that is what I considered a quiet night and I've never had the body to be a stripper. I've had people do some crazy ass stuff in the interest of getting laid, the lack of weirdos is by far the scariest part of going out now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I weigh 108 lbs and I'm 5 foot 8. If it were up to me, I'd still have vodka for breakfast. Can I be your friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, you're a little on the thin side for me, however, vodka for breakfast totally makes up for that, so sure. ;)

      Delete