Sunday, June 19, 2011

Char

I've been putting this off for days. I found out about her death the morning after a two year murder anniversary, and it's just too much to look into myself right now and find a way to separate my own selfish wishes and desires from the true grief felt from the passing of a wonderful soul. She deserves more than my selfish pain and sorrow. She deserves a heartfelt tribute to one of the kindest and most gracious people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. My profile picture right now was taken by Char. I love it, and always have. See right above the tail? There's a heart hidden there in the giraffe spots. I find it fitting that Char managed to find an animal with a unique marking like that, a heart right out there, you only have to look the teeniest bit to find it. She had one of the most beautiful hearts herself, and all it takes is one look at her photography or her writing to see it. I think I've known her for four years now, but possibly five. Time spent online is screwy. In any case, Char has always been a positive force in my world. I often wondered how she could be so kind, so encouraging and so gracious, all while managing to be witty and funny. She always felt so real too. Her warmth never felt forced. Sometimes we are lucky enough to know we share our space in this world with a few truly special people. Thank you Char, for letting me know how special you are. I will always remember you with a smile, even if sometimes it's through tears.

9 comments:

  1. This gave me chills. You have so captured her spirit. And I never knew she had taken that photo of your giraffe. How wonderful that it had that heart sitting right there in the open just waiting for Char to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew about the giraffe, either. Yes, she was a beautiful soul. Things are happening in my life right now that are completely dragging me down and your post makes me feel so not alone.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all loved char so much....thank you for wonderful words.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.

    Yeah, if I recall correctly (and I'm pretty sure I do) Char took that picture while she was taking her first photography class. She took a few other giraffe pictures for me too, but I can't find them. :( I also lost a bunch of giraffe pictures taken for me by the other person I was mourning this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:21 AM

    I love this giraffe photo...and the heart in it is just so fitting. Thanks for sharing this story about Char...a woman who was so full of "heart" herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She left her incredible soul in all of ours.

    sorry for what you are going through, and that you found the grace to write so beautifully speaks volumes to your soul as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what beautiful words about our friend. so many of us, not even meeting her, called friend - a person you felt like you had known forever. she was funny and honest, and sweet - a true pleasure to have known. i will miss her. i knew her for four years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have written so beautifully of a friend we will miss ..so sorry for this painful time in your life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone.

    It is very comforting to know how well loved Char is, and that so many people took the time to appreciate how special she is.

    ReplyDelete