While trying on my investigative hat again this evening I realized that John may have used a vacation rental address for the form I found. It's a ham radio license, and it was originally issued with the last known address I have. I'm going to guess he uses the radio for sailing and not much else. The town with the updated address is on the water. It also seems to be something of an old talk show host mecca, as I found two who currently live there. And that was without trying, with the prices homes were commanding, ($35,000 a month rentals) and it's proximity to NYC, I'm sure many other famous rich people live there. I'm still searching for a number, and I'm still going to send something, but, honestly, ... I don't expect a reply.
I also realized that the same friend who introduced me to my son's father was instrumental in my talking to John.
I dumped a drink on the head of a girl I knew through my ex that night. Don't worry, I made it look like an accident by taking a drink from the guy behind the bar (who was a very recent ex), reaching over the girl's head and tilting. I got away with it the first time. The second time I got a little overzealous and someone noticed. The girl's friend towered over me, slurring and screaming about me dumping a drink on her friend's head. I caught some looks from the guys that let me know I wouldn't be winning any friends if I started shit, so I did what any good asshole drunk without backup would do -- I lied my fucking ass off. I didn't just say I didn't do it, oh no, that wasn't good enough for me. I had to throw in there that if I had wanted to pour a drink on her head, I would have just done it cuz I didn't give a fuck what those bitches thought about me. It worked. (We actually all ended up being friends and we're all Facebook friends today, but I never admitted I purposely dumped my drink on her head.)
After that spectacle, I went to talk to my friend Josh, who was talking to John, who had just returned to school (and his fraternity) for his Master's degree after two years working. They were in the doorway to the bar room, wedged into the space to get behind the bar. I decided John was mine. He decided no such thing was going to happen. Being the charming asshole that I was, I didn't go away when he refused to dance with me, multiple times. He was laughing as he refused, so I didn't give up. When Josh got tired of me being a pain in the ass, he came up with a plan. If I could walk across the bar, which was shoulder to shoulder drunks, and back with a full, open can of beer on my head, John would dance with me.
I fall over standing still. People think I'm invisible or something, because I always get knocked around. I was wasted.
Of course I agreed.
Josh made a big show of opening the can of Black Label for my head, and I set off, head rigid, hands raised, hoping to minimize the beer spill to come. Except it never came. I have no idea how I did it, other than slowly and screaming for people to get out of my way, but I did it.
When I got back to the guys, John was laughing in open mouthed disbelief, poking Josh, yelling that Josh had made the deal and not him. Josh was just open mouthed and shrugging, insisting that he thought he'd found a way to get me to go away. I was grinning wildly, drinking the beer that had been on my head. John put another qualifier on the deal, and off I went to complete part two of my impossible quest. The song he required started playing within minutes. :D He was a good sport and followed me to the dance floor.
Later, we sat at a dining room table talking for hours, until I got a phone call. Yeah, I got a phone call on the lobby phone of his fraternity, and someone I didn't know at the time, but clearly knew who I was, came looking for me. After that, John lied and said his sister was visiting so he had to go home. I have no idea what happened next, I know the phone call I got was the start of some very psychotic behavior on the part of my friend's girlfriend, but I think I just passed out somewhere, sure that John would eventually see my charms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Impressive!
ReplyDeleteMy commitment to idiocy? Yes, I suppose it was. ;)
Delete