Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rioting

Yesterday I went to some all day music festival featuring a bunch of punk bands that were last famous in approximately 1996. There was a flood warning, a 70% chance of thunderstorms, we were supposed to sell merchandise for 12 full hours, and my two friends and I were not excited. In fact, we were all thinking of bailing. Then we went through 15 lots trying to find the one we "couldn't miss".

Luckily for us, as soon as we got there, our luck changed, thanks to corporate greed. Turns out the promoters won't allow the bands to sell their own items. All we had to do was check them in, their employees do the rest, and, naturally, take a cut. Suddenly, our long dreary day brightened considerably, both literally and figuratively.

We went to a bar down the street and drank for a few hours. $100 (for me) and a new friend (also for me) later we went back to the venue. I changed in the parking lot and waited while my friends used the porta potties. I butted into a conversation going on next to me to pass the time. (Three minutes feels like three hours when I'm drunk and bored.) Some guys were talking to a slightly older dude about who they were excited to see. Older dude mentioned something about coming from Oregon. My eyebrows shot up, I made a confused/disgusted face and I asked what band there was so fucking exciting that it was worth traveling from Oregon. The two other guys dropped their jaws and did a little confused giggling. Then they realized my question was serious. Turns out his band was what was so fucking exciting. Ooops. I apologized, threw in a comment about how my friend wanted me to buy his band's shirt for him, and started confusing Portland for a state. He was from Bend. I bet they were glad when my friends were finished peeing and we left. It was 2:30PM.

I got bitten and my ass slapped repeatedly, by my friends. I have no idea why they did it, but after a dozen bruises showing on my arm, I bit back. Apparently I bit hard, they stopped. Over the next several hours, I collected new friends and generally just enjoyed being a wasted, but not belligerent fool. I had like four text messages from people I don't know when I looked at my phone this morning. Awesome.

By the time the bigger named bands started playing, I was getting tired. I sat down on a bench and started nodding off. Some guy was sitting on the back of the bench, and I oh so politely inquired as to wether I might just rest my head against him to sleep for a bit. It was 7:00 PM. We missed the headliner, forgot to collect the stuff, and left some other stuff in the car, and headed home. I was in my house by 11:00PM. Awesome. Too bad I'm so old, back in the day I would've lasted at least another few hours. Well, I probably also would've ended up puking or making out with a stranger, so I guess I'll take the trade off. Maybe.

13 comments:

  1. Really? That was it? You ARE getting tame in your old age! Hehe, my night consisted of getting hammered and playing video games til 6am. I'd say it was sad but at least it was with other people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did chew on some guy's dreadlocks. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super awesome. Drunk you sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drunk me is waaaayyyy more fun than sober me.

    I attract weirdos like a magnet. One guy came up to me and started telling me all kinds of shit, like he watched his mother and grandmother being raped in Hungary and that he's wanted to die since he was 8. Everyone else is smart enough to walk away. I'm not. I also randomly start conversations about inappropriate subjects. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chewed some guy's dreadlocks? Did you have the munchies or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a thing for dreads. *shrugs*. They were pretty and smelled good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever heard "pretty" and "smelled good" used in reference to dreads before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you see the pictures where his girlfriend is watching me in disgust as I sniffed them? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm completely blown away that the dreads smelled good. I was under the impression dreads would smell the exact opposite. I kinda feel like the attracting weirdos/having inappropriate conversations is not just something that happens while you're drunk. For some reason I think that shit happens to you all the time. I mean that in the most wonderful way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dread chewing sounds like it could've been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amelia -- I liked the way they smelled. :). Yeah, you just might be right about that, but I don't usually chew on random strangers. He was really cute though, even without the dreads.

    Mariah-- I might have mentioned my joy of chewing on the dreads of a guy I dated for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Dear God I have missed your writing! It sounds like a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've missed you too! It was fun. I wish I could go back to doing stuff like that every day.

    ReplyDelete