I generally don't have specific goals or requirements. Often my thinking leans toward "anything BUT . . ." rather than "I am going to accomplish . . ." My college major was decided the semester I failed every class except one. That B+ amidst the sea of F's meant English was for me. *shrug* I take going with the flow to wastewater treatment release proportions. When I want something, I'm stubborn as hell, but often, I simply just don't know what I want. More often than not, I leave decisions up to others. It's not that I'm afraid to say no, or anything like that, I just don't really care about a whole lot of stuff. That is not to say I'm not picky, because I am, ultra-picky even, just not about a large number of things. I have food issues galore, dealing with texture and taste, but mostly texture and will whine and piss and moan if my food is not to my liking. When it comes to cars, I have two requirements: manual transmission and it cannot be white or silver. Anything else isn't all that important.
Which brings me to my realization. I can do things that I decide upon doing. Sounds simple, right? Really, who the hell can't? This process is not always so simple for me, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it become simple. This past week makes the idea of knowing what I want, so I can get it, particularly appealing.
We had a gorgeous year old convertible. This car was not only impractical, it was pretty much above our means, but it was paid off, thanks to a large chunk of money blown last year. I loved it. It was the first car I've ever had that I picked just because I wanted it, rather than based on price, etc. Hmm, actually, typing that made me realize how when I finally decided what I wanted in a car, things came together quickly, and in a rather odd manner. Interesting.
Anyway, we suck with money and were having trouble paying our bills. Not fun. Bills kept stacking, as did my frustration level, which is never a good thing. When I get in that mood, I say "Fuck it" and do what I feel like doing that second. Then everything I've neglected falls apart and I end up doing things like borrowing money I can't pay back, or sleeping on my parents' sofa. Things were getting to that point, when I made a decision.
The car in the driveway that I loved was worth what had been a year's salary in some particularly bad years. Of course, it was paid off, we'd lose money since we only had it for a year, blah, blah, blah. Any manner of no's and shouldn't have to's popped up to protest. So I put it out of my mind and things didn't get any better financially. Wednesday night I decided enough was enough, I needed to do something. By 4AM Thursday morning, I figured out two car brands/styles that could replace the convertible and leave us with a decent amount of cash back. I figured out a magic number that seemed like a slight stretch, but reasonable, and started sending out quote requests.
Those were annoying and full of potential bait and switch advertising violations. One place hadn't bothered to call or email, but the others had irritated me so much, I decided to just go there and see. They had one of the acceptable replacements on the lot in manual, just like their website promised. I took it for a test drive, told the guy it was OK, I wasn't thrilled, that I'd probably go look at another brand first and go with the better deal. He asked if I'd be willing to take an aggressive deal right away. I told him it'd have to be pretty aggressive. He offered $550 less than my magic number to take home with me, I counter offered my magic number. At 5:30PM Thursday, I had a check with my magic number on it in my hands. Sweet!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've heard a lot of people talking about putting things "out in the universe" and it happens. I don't know exactly what that means, but I do know that when you're absolutely bound and determined that something will happen, it does. It's one of the reasons I say "there's more to this world than we know."
ReplyDeleteIt takes a lot, I think. I've tried it with many things within the past few years, I've gotten it with a few. It was always the few where I just said, "Fuck it. This is what I want, and I don't care how I get it." One of those times was getting a Fed-Ex package delivered on a Sunday. :) I'm not quite sure how to make that an every day mode of life, but I'm going to try to figure it out. I used to do that on a fairly regular basis when I was younger, without realizing it, or putting much thought or effort into it, then I sank, far and fast, and stopped. Now that I know I have to keep up and follow through with stuff, I'll fare much better.
ReplyDeletethere's a little red book my mom got from one of the chiropractors we've gone to over the years - he dealt a lot with emotional issues, but the book is called It Works. Essentially, you make a little list of things you want to happen, carry that list around with you, pull it out and look at it a couple times a day and visualize these things happening and they do. I guess it's along the same lines as "putting it out to the universe." But how the hell did you manage to get a FedEx package on a Sunday??
ReplyDeleteYeah, I've never made a list, just decided I was going to do what I was going to do, and did it. A list might help. I got my Fed Ex delivery via the driver's personal car. They marked it as delivered on Saturday when it wasn't, and I was pissed. Of course, there's no one you can call and complain to on a Saturday, but I really wanted my damn package and I didn't want to wait until Monday, so I just kept saying, "I'm getting it before Monday." He or she drove to the house in a normal car and dropped it off Sunday. :). Coincidence? Possibly, but, hey, being determined can't hurt.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard of carrying around the list with you. That's intriguing.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you had to say goodbye to the car you loved, but happy if it meant you got to say goodbye to some bills you did not.
It is intriguing. It certainly can't hurt.
ReplyDeleteYeah, showering with hot water and using electricity, as well as keeping a roof over our head is kinda more important. Thanks. :)
Super weird, that's exactly what I did this week. My sister said to "manifest it" for myself. (She's a super hippy.) So I decided to. I even wrote down my sentence this morning.
ReplyDeleteGo Megan!!
Now I have to manifest a passive aggressive free zone in my life. :D
ReplyDeletecough*westcoast*cough
ReplyDeleteRight Mariah? I don't know what the rules are, but I'm not sure if you can manifest personality changes in others. Bahahaha!! The rules of informing the fucking universe of what you have decided to happen that is. I say go for it, it could only help. :))
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure there's enough energy in the universe to fix some people's personality defects. I'll be happy with bringing normal people in. :))
ReplyDeletehee! I wish there were a way to like things on here. :D
ReplyDeleteI don't know why, but for some reason, I imagined a scenario where your magic number was less than their initial number, but you were so set on getting that magic number that you'd counter-offered with it anyway.
ReplyDeleteI can totally see that happening.
ReplyDelete